The son of the Ugandan tyrant Idi Amin was the ringleader of a gang that terrorised North London and stabbed a teenage rival to death.

Faisal Wangita, 25, was part of an African gang that stabbed Mahir Osman more than 20 times as bystanders looked on. The killing followed a series of street fights between rival gangs, made up mainly of Somalis, that began with a fight at a nightclub where the Radio 1 DJ Tim Westwood was appearing.

Mr Osman, 18, was surrounded by up to 40 youths who had armed themselves with knives, sticks and bottles during the attack outside Camden market on a busy Saturday night.

Wangita was cleared of murder by a jury at the Old Bailey in May but was found guilty of conspiracy to wound, conspiracy to possess offensive weapons and violent disorder. He has a string of convictions dating back seven years. He was sentenced to five years’ detention by Judge Stephen Kramer, QC, who had banned any reference to Wangita or his link to Amin in case it was prejudicial.

Three other Somali gang members, Ismail Mohamed, 20, Liban Elmi, 20, and Hussain Ali Hussain, 17, were convicted of murder. Four other members were jailed for offences including affray and conspiracy to wound.

The names of the killers can be published now after a second trial involving three more Somali gang members ended yesterday.

Wangita was one of 43 children fathered by Amin. It is thought that his mother is Sarah Kyolaba Amin, the dictator’s fifth wife, who met him while working as a go-go dancer with the Ugandan Army’s Revolutionary Suicide Mechanised Regiment Band. The 52-year-old, who was given the nickname “Suicide Sarah”, now lives with her two daughters in Tottenham, North London.

Wangita was born in 1981 after Amin, who is said to have killed up to 400,000 people, had been exiled to Saudi Arabia. Mrs Amin left her husband in 1982 and sought asylum in Germany. When Amin died in Jedda, she was running a café in East London, serving African dishes, including goat stew and cow hoof in gravy.

Wangita was part of a Somali gang in Tottenham called the North London Somalis, known as the ANC. Mr Osman, an engineering student, had been a member of a rival gang called the Centric Boys, named after their favourite meeting place, Centric Close in Camden.

The two groups had clashed repeatedly in the weeks before Mr Osman’s murder on January 28 last year. The groups had first fought at Eros nightclub in Enfield in December 2005. On January 28 the ANC gang went on the rampage and targeted Mr Osman, who was with friends in Camden High Street.

Closed-circuit television footage captured the moment when up to 40 hooded youths, many of whom had knives, attacked Mr Osman as one shouted: “Stab him through the heart.”

Mr Osman, nicknamed “Smiley”, from Swiss Cottage, died in hospital from 21 knife wounds. His father, Abdirahman Osman, a Somali community leader, confronted Charles Clarke, then the Home Secretary, when he visited the murder scene. Mr Osman described his son as a good, hard-working boy who grew up in a “lost generation” of Somali refugees.

He brought Mahir to London from war-torn Mogadishu in 1992 and said that his son used to pray at London Central Mosque every Friday.

Wangita refused to give evidence but his lawyers claimed that he had not taken part in the attack.

Ismail Mohamed, from Harringay, North London, Liban Elmi, of no fixed address, and Hussain Ali Hussain, 17, from Enfield, were all convicted of murder. Mohamed and Elmi were ordered to serve at least 15 and 14 years respectively, while Hussain must serve a minimum of ten.

After a second trial, Anwar Qasim, 17, from Tottenham, was convicted of conspiracy to wound with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, conspiracy to possess offensive weapons and violent disorder.

The jury was unable to agree a verdict against Qasim on the charge of murder and the prosecution dropped the charge. Guled Muse, 17, from Tottenham, was convicted of violent disorder.

Mohamed Said, 24, was convicted of conspiracy to wound with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and conspiracy to possess offensive weapons. He admitted violent disorder. Mohammed Tumaye, 18, from Tottenham, admitted robbery and Abdi Abdullhe, 18, admitted robbery and violent disorder. They will be sentenced next month.

NUURKA:GORGOR NEWS :LONDON :UKafrican-fish-eagle.jpg


U dhaaf Halcelis

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Beddel )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Beddel )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Beddel )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Beddel )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: